Photo credit: Oberammergau Passion Play
Almost 400 years ago, the villagers of Oberammergau, Bavaria promised God that if he would spare them from the bubonic plague that was ravaging their region, they would depict the life and death of Jesus in the form of a play. God kept his side of the promise and the villagers performed their first re-enactment of the Passion of Christ in 1634 to fulfill their vow. 2020 will mark the 42nd time the villagers have performed the play over the past 384 years.
From May to September in 2020, about half of the 5,400 residents of Oberammergau will participate in this epic re-enactment as actors, singers, instrumentalists and stage technicians. READ A SYNOPSIS OF THE PLAY that includes Old and New Testament scenes woven together to tell the story of Jesus on a broad canvas. WATCH A SHORT TRAILER for the 2020 Play.
Though there are many performances, because it only happens once every 10 years, Oberammergau tickets are in great demand!
Oberammergau Passion Play, September 14-16, 2020
Danube River Cruise From Budapest to Prague
Germany & Switzerland: An Alpine Adventure
Cultural & Natural Landscape of Germany
Total cost per person: $860 CAD; $690 USD
Single supplement cost TBD
- Two overnights with breakfast, specific hotel to be confirmed in 2019
- Ticket to the Passion Play in Category 3 (June/September dates) or Category 2 (August)
- Two dinners including one 3-course-meal during the 3-hour performance break
- Round trip shuttle bus from hotel to play
- Program book, available on the day of the performance
- Tourism tax
- Arrival and departure transfers to and from Oberammergau (we can assist with these arrangements)
- Drinks with meals
- Tips and gratuities
- Travel medical (out-of-country emergency) and cancellation/interruption insurance
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.